Lightweight backfill

Hi All,

I am looking for a lightweight alternative to 'pea gravel'
for backfilling to a treated wood retaining wall.  I have
searched the SEAOC archives, but didn't find anything.

I have heard of styrofoam pellets being used as backfill,
and was wondering how they might weather, or if there would
be any other adverse consequences (like raccoons eating them).

Thanks in advance,

-Greg Leyh
www.lod.org