RE: New Win 98 Questions

>From what I just read, NT5.0 may be delayed until the end of next year at
the earliest. I also read that the current Beta version looks and acts very
much like Win98.
Remember that NT5.0 has been primarily used for networked systems. Microsoft
is anticipating a need in the private sector for personal networks within
the small office or home. With broadband technology becomming more and more
a reality every day - those wishing to keep up with technology will need to
consider establishing a personal network to control most of our daily
functions above and beyond work. This includes, onine banking, shoping,
education and research. It also includes the ability to control your homes
(lights, HVAC, security and communications).
With this in mind, NT5.0 will be important - however, don't throw away 95 or
98 yet.
I suspect that Windows 98 will be supported for at least the next five years
until features become so important that 98 is considered similar to 3.1 - a
dinosaur.
Although many of you swear by DOS, there will be a point in the near future
that you will lose the support from both Microsoft and the companies who
originally wrote the software you are using.
This is to be expected as ecconomics drives the services offered on
software. Very few manufactures of popular software are maintaining DOS
versions. One driving reason is that many printers today will not work in
DOS mode (such as the HP Deskjet series like the 820).
This is not to say that you can't continue to use the equipment you
presently own, but at some time the hardware will give out, a glitch in
magnetic media will corrupt a disk, a 5-1/4 floppy will fail and you won't
be able to find a replacement etc. You will have a choice - upgrade and
repeat the process of the downward learning curve (which becomes more
difficult as features increase)OR wait until you no longer have the
resources to complete the work and retire.

In the mean time, I think you can get some long milage on Windows 98. I also
believe that you should upgrade to NT5.0 when it comes out IF you are
interested in establishing a personal server to take advantage of Broadband,
multiple computers in the home and other network options.

Dennis Wish PE