Re: New Win 98 Questions

Dennis S. Wish PE wrote:

> >From what I just read, NT5.0 may be delayed until the end of next year at
> the earliest. I also read that the current Beta version looks and acts very
> much like Win98.
> Remember that NT5.0 has been primarily used for networked systems.  <SNIP>

It has been used primarily for networks because of the power and
stability.  I converted to NT back at 3.51 so I would have the power to run
multiple sessions of Autocad after getting over the idea that NT was for
networks.  Most individual users didn't go to NT because they didn't need
it and therefore couldn't justify the additional money.  I don't run a
network, but have found my system much more stable than collegues W95 or
W98 setups I've used in their offices. If something does crash, it only
crashes the software, not the entire operating system and machine.

The idea that if you don't run networks you don't need NT is like saying I
only do one or two frame analyisis a year so I don't need the software.
Correct, it's not needed, but it is a great asset to have and will make
your work more efficient once you go thru the learning curve.  That's were
the idea of moving to NT makes since.... make the change now and you don't
have to do it later.  It will happen if you are one to eventually upgrade
as most of us are... Some stay with DOS, but most recognize the advantage
of using the newer technology, which is what NT stands for New
Techonology.  All of the things people were talking about with partition
sizing and resizing, along with multiple boots can all be done with NT
without the addition of 3rd party software.

The file system for can also be setup in NTFS rather than FAT.  This has
proven to be more efficient also than the FAT systems.

The only thing to be aware of, the common version of NT does not support
128 bit encryption.  So if you want 128 bit encryption for the internet,
make sure you purchase the compatible version of NT... Otherwise you will
have problems.

Yes W98 will be supported for a few more years.  If Windows 3.x is a clue,
they will give about 3 years support after they quit producing W98.  But
after using both operating systems, I cast my vote to NT.  And I say that
even though I'm not a big fan of Bill Gates. But that's another subject
regarding the conversion of computer illiterate people to users...

just my opinion, and an effort to educate... not meant to start a debate
here.

Steve P