From: Steve Privett [mailto:eqretrodr(--nospam--at)earthlink.net]
Sent: Sunday, October 18, 1998 8:28 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: New Win 98 Questions

Dennis

Just a couple of comments here..

NT came out long before W95.  I converted to NT3.51 a good year before W95
came out, and 3.51 was a major upgrade from NT3.0. In fact NT3.51 had the
alpha version of the W95 shell.  Many of us that used NT3.51 worked with
the alpha version of the shell during its debugging process.

There is a definite price difference between the two.  NT suggested price
is 319 for the initial purchase or 129 for an upgrade.  W98 is 209 for a
full license and 109 for an upgrade.  Yes all of these prices are lower at
street level pricing. But for me the $100 difference is worth it after the
first crash that causes me to loose info in a finite analysis or an autocad
drawing that I hadn't saved in 28 minutes.

The focus of NT was/is for businesses.  Not necessarily workgroups or
networks.  Yes it does cover those areas and one could get quite confused
if you tried to jump in and deal with those issues without the background.
But for a stand alone machine, that is not a concern.  I just never read
those sections.

Yes there are some things that are more technical than W95/98, but I would
think most on this list, being engineers, can handle the technical end of
it.  After all it's not rocket science, and if we can understand the codes,
and various reference books we use, understanding NT isn't half as
technical in my opinion.

Yes there is a bigger user group of W98 people, but I think there is a
smaller percentage of them that can give good useful assistance regarding
the OS.  A higher percentage of NT users can answer questions about their
OS because they are more involved and are usually more of a power user.  I
don't recommend NT for the person just getting a computer, and infact
recommended that my mother install W98 on her machine as it is her first.

It should also be noted here that my opinions are the result of many years
of using a computer in my business.  I started with an HP86b, that didn't
even have a hard drive and I was writing flexible diaphragm analysis
programs for it.  So yes I have taken a very deep interest in making my
computer an efficient tool for me.

If one is intimidated by the computer, then W98 is definitely the way to
go.  I just thought most engineers would be wanting to move more towards
the "power user" type by nature of who we are and the profession we have
chosen.  And NT is more for a power user that wants to understand his/her
tools and therefore be able to be more in control of the machine.  If the
interst isn't there, then I recommend staying with the pack and going with
W98 for now and converting later.

Steve P.