Rusty Rebar

I have a project that has been resurrected after 4 years. 4 years ago,
45,000 lbs of reinforcing steel were detailed and delivered. I did the
original design and checked the shop drawings.

The job was shut down and is now going out for bid again. I have examined
the rebar. It was stored outdoors and off the ground. It has mill scale on
it but I can see no obvious degradation.

My question is this. Is there any special surface preparation which I need
to specify, or is my biggest problem the fact that you can no longer read
the tags and it will be real fun indeed figuring out which bar goes where?
I would appreciate feedback.

Randy Russ
rruss(--nospam--at)eatel.net