From: Joshua Matthews [mailto:base.engr(--nospam--at)internetMCI.com]
Sent: Saturday, October 17, 1998 12:05 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Fire Sprinkler Thrust Loads

I recently spoke with a friend who is a contractor who was being
requested to
verify that a new metal building that they had constructed be checked
for
"thrust" loads in the plumbing of the fire sprinkler system.  The
plumbing is
braced back (and checked) to the structure for seismic loads but Factory
Mutual has requested that it be checked for "thrust" of the water moving
through the system (particularly at bends in the plumbing). It would
seem that
most of the forces in the plumbing would be resolved within the plumbing
itself and not be exerted on the structure (two opposing bends might
create
tension in the pipe)

I have not heard of this before, has anyone else had this question come
up or
have any experience with this situation?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Joshua Matthews