From: Joshua Matthews
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Fire Sprinkler Thrust Loads
Date: Saturday, October 17, 1998 11:04

I recently spoke with a friend who is a contractor who was being requested
verify that a new metal building that they had constructed be checked for
"thrust" loads in the plumbing of the fire sprinkler system.  The plumbing
is
braced back (and checked) to the structure for seismic loads but Factory
Mutual has requested that it be checked for "thrust" of the water moving
through the system (particularly at bends in the plumbing). It would seem
that
most of the forces in the plumbing would be resolved within the plumbing
itself and not be exerted on the structure (two opposing bends might create
tension in the pipe)

I have not heard of this before, has anyone else had this question come up
or
have any experience with this situation?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Joshua Matthews