RE: no needed

You may want to look into the recent failure of  a panel tank system in
Westminster, California (Southern California).  There are several articles
on the Los Angeles Times website.  I don't know whether this was a failure
due to deferred maintenance or a basic defect in the tank design or
construction.  The pictures I've seen don't give me much faith in this type
of system.

However, If you are looking at how to design a conventional prestressed
concrete tank, see AWWA D-115-95, "AWWA Standard for Circular Prestressed
Concrete Water Tanks with Circumferential Tendons", contact the AWWA
website at www.awwa.org for information on how to obtain it.  We have a
large number of these tanks in water distribution service, some dating from
the 1930's, which have given us good service as long as they are maintained
and corrosion issues are addressed.

Bill Cain, S.E.
Oakland, CA