RE: windows (several) v.s. linux

Agree with your son, wholeheartedly.

The point is this, people:  Information Technology is MUCH too big a piece of the corporate--or small business, for that matter--pie to allow one company to have a virtual "monopoly" on one of the most vital components.

I don't support the Justice Department proceedings against MS.  I am a free-marketeer, and believe that it is up to the market to "correct" the overbalance of power given to MS by the computing world.

But that "correction" is coming, and it will be in the form of something like Linux.  IBM could not maintain its hegemony; that died a slow death beginning in the early 1980s with the advent of the microcomputer.  But IBM is still a major player, and all the better for not having such power to wield over a vital part of the business infrastructure.

MS will be the same way, and we'll ALL be better for not having to rely on Bill Gates' profit center to determine what direction technology will take.