The Problem with Microsoft

I use 3Com Corp.'s "PalmPilot" as my personal digital assistant.  I love it.  It "takes me where I want to go today," and contains nothing of Microsoft on it.

That makes Mr. Gates very cross.  See the following article:

http://www.nytimes.com/library/tech/98/10/biztech/articles/19palm.html

This is one of the reasons that I am not a big fan of Microsoft and Microsoft's products.  Mr. Gates doesn't seek to be competitive in the finest American tradition; he seeks to avoid innovation by buying out his competition.

That's why DoJ is after him.

As I've stated before, I don't support DoJ's hounding of MS; I think it is motivated much more by politics than by any altruistic interest of the Clinton Justice Department in fostering healthy competition.  The plain fact is that MS hasn't paid its "fair share" of political protection money to the Democrats.  That's why they're in dutch.

But that is not to say that they are not "anti-competitive."  They emphatically are.  I think that wise business heads need to recognize that fostering MS in this, is counter to their own interests in keeping competition alive in the very vital information infrastructure area of American (and global) business.

That's why I think that engineers as small businessmen, need to investigate alternatives to MS, such as Linux.