RE: 97 UBC 1633.2.4

It's a good question which isn't perfectly clear in the Code.  However, see
Section 1612.4, which is the only mention which I could find of WSD in
connection with the load causing this deflection.  The intent of the Code is
to maintain gravity-load capacity at a distortion in the inelastic range, so
I would bite the bullet and check this condition by USD if I had to convince
a Building Official.