RE: The Problem with Microsoft

From: Christopher Wright [mailto:chrisw(--nospam--at)skypoint.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 21, 1998 8:44 AM
To: SEAOC Newsletter
Subject: RE: The Problem with Microsoft

>I think there still is a Mac OS
Damn right there is. And it's still the best.

[Bill Allen]
That's B.S. If Mac OS was "the best" everyone would be using it instead of
just some obscure cult. BTW, Apple practiced some of the same principles as
MS when they had to put their stamp on all hardware and software until they
saw the writing on the walls just a few years ago and started licensing
their technology.

<snip>

Suppose, for example, Bechtel, Boise-Cascade or American Gypsum decided
to buy the residential or small building design market. With a choke hold
on the market they could afford to do what ever they wanted with Code
requirements and claim 'economies of scale' or 'consumer demand' or some
such nonsense. And they'd have the staff to put all the engineering
stamps they wanted on just about anything that would sell. I wouldn't
dare guess the reactions of the SE community, but 'What the hell, that's
economic progress,' probably wouldn't be among them. The free market is a
very useful thing, but, like free speech and a free press, there's no
divine protection against monstrous abuses.

[Bill Allen]
I thought this was already the case. See previous threads on Conventional
Framing Provisions.

Regards,
Bill Allen