RE: The Problem with Microsoft

From:	Bill Allen, S.E. [SMTP:Bill(--nospam--at)AllenDesigns.com]
Sent:	Wednesday, October 21, 1998 11:57 AM
To:	seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject:	RE: The Problem with Microsoft

-----Original Message-----
From: Christopher Wright [mailto:chrisw(--nospam--at)skypoint.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 21, 1998 8:44 AM
To: SEAOC Newsletter
Subject: RE: The Problem with Microsoft

>I think there still is a Mac OS
Damn right there is. And it's still the best.

[Bill Allen]
That's B.S. If Mac OS was "the best" everyone would be using it instead of
just some obscure cult.

[Bill Polhemus]

That's not logically true.

"The Best" motor car in the world is arguably the Rolls Royce.  However, demonstrably "everyone" is not driving a Rolls.

[Bill Allen]

BTW, Apple practiced some of the same principles as
MS when they had to put their stamp on all hardware and software until they
saw the writing on the walls just a few years ago and started licensing
their technology.

[Bill Polhemus]

Which demonstrates why, even though the Mac OS was superior for many years to the best that the PC world had to offer, it did not gain respectable market share.  Apple went "proprietary" at a time when there were viable alternatives to its products.  Therefore, they lost that market to the "P.C. Clones".

IBM was not so picky, and as a result though the IBM PC Division doesn't dominate the market, it still makes a respectable showing year after year.

MS simply piggy-backed off of that.

Now, MS (which DOES dominate the market it's trying to "corner") is essentially doing the same thing Apple tried to do back when it wasn't feasible to do it.

I don't necessarily fault MS for trying this.  I do think some of their tactics (such as demonstrated with the article I "pointed" to regarding the PalmPilot/Palm III PDAs) stink.

I think it is the obligation of the computer-using public, and especially those who have to make strategic decisions for their companies, to open their eyes, and begin to support competing products.  This doesn't mean that you have to pick an "inferior" competitor over a "superior" MS product.

It means you must determine that there ARE non-MS products out there worth your dollars.  Don't just blindly buy MS because you are a member of the herd.

<<application/ms-tnef>>