RE: The Problem with Microsoft

From:	Trobridge, Bruce [SMTP:Bruce.Trobridge(--nospam--at)ogs.state.ny.us]
Sent:	Wednesday, October 21, 1998 12:30 PM
To:	'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'
Subject:	RE: The Problem with Microsoft

Isn't the basis of the lawsuit that Microsoft sells its OS with a web
browser making it unnecessary to buy a competitor's browser?  I never
understood what the problem was with that.  It seemed to me that it
paralleled an auto manufacturer selling cars with air-conditioning or a
stereo system or a hitch, that would make it unnecessary to buy an
aftermarket unit...

[Bill Polhemus]

Suppose that you heard General Motors (which provides stereo systems in their automobiles) had tried to buy out all the other major manufacturers of car stereo systems?

And suppose further, that you learned that GM had decided to put any of those other manufacturers who declined to be bought out, out of business by requiring that anyone else doing business with GM NOT do any sales or installations of competitors' products?

That's a more correct analogy.

Again, the disclaimer:

I don't think the Feds should be involved in this.  I think the idea that the DoJ has to be the "cop" for every instance of what it terms "anti-competitive practice" is dangerous.

After all, although the Federal Government would like you to believe that its job is to "protect" the citizenry, the idea of LIMITED government upon which our constitutional republic is based, was instituted to protect the citizens FROM the government.

We have a choice whether or not to buy MS, or GM, or anyone else.

We don't have a choice of which government to live under, if we allow them free reign over all areas of society.

<<application/ms-tnef>>