RE: New Win 98 Questions

Here is the main reason that it won't be a serious contender - Less than one
percent of our professional community is above the neophyte stage of
computer literacy. The Windows graphical interphase has established itself
as the standard for DOS base packages. The use of a graphical interface is
intended to take the intimidation out of a black DOS screen and prompt.
Considering the old mock multitasking products (they stoped processing as
you switched between applications, such as Deskview by Quaterdeck Software,
these were still considered special tools for the computer literate.
For the beginner or user with limited skills, it usually took a more
knowledgable person to create a Bat file or Bat based primative interface to
help beginners launch programs.
In addition, the features of Windows  based software has evolved with the
times and "wish-lists" of the users. Even if you only use 10 or 15 commands
in Autocad, the power users will still demand more "bang for the buck" but
the novice will stick to those 10 or 15 commands.

The computer operating system has succeeded in creating a graphical
interface somewhat as friendly as Apples, but they have also created an
intimidating set of features that would scare off most new users (who will
also be afraid of a black screen). Unix sounds like something sexual to most
beginners and Linux would be considered a character in the Peanuts comics.
Seriously, there is very little space left for the novice. New users have
only one choice - Jump in the water and swim or stick to Web TV.

I believe what is needed is different flavors of Windows that can be
purchased based upon the needs of the user. I'm not talking about office
packages (Word, Excel, Access etc.) but am speaking of a graphical operating
system that allows the user to install only the basics (not most recommended
features) and the ability to add-on as they knowledge improves.

One other thing I would like to see is a disintegration of Outlook 98. I
would like to write an email and send it without loading the entire
program - possibly just a core program. I'd like to use the note pad (yellow
sticki's) without launching the program and still be able to integrate note
messages to clients in my contact list. It would also be great to keep the
contact list on my desktop floating independent of the rest of outlook and
the same for my Calendar.
I depend on the software, but can conceive of a less resources intensive
program if the modules were separated, yet integrated.

Dennis