RE: The Problem with Microsoft

Playing Devil's advocate for a moment - don't we have a monopoly situation
in something as small as Dolby Noise reduction systems which are used on
probably 90% of the audio equipment being sold. How about those little
numbers issued in the local TV guide that allows a user to automatically
program their VCR. There are no other companies competing with VCR Plus. If
this is by choice, does this make for an illegal monopoly.
If you do not have a choice of local phone service, public utilities (ie,
gas, water and electric) - is this considered a monopoly.
Is it ethical to breakdown a geographic area and distribute the rights to
one Cable company to serve the area? Yes there are other choice - as their
are other operating systems. The problem is that there is not the number of
services nor is there the number of compatible software.
Microsofts problems appear to be exasperbated by the fact that software
developers are not supporting other operating system other than those
compatible with Microsoft. As I mentioned, Microsoft supported Apple to help
keep them alive by altering their software to work within Apples operating
system.
I guess my point is that none of the operating systems represent more than
10% of the market that Microsoft captured. Unless this is due to some
strongarm tactic as was accused, I can't see that Microsoft should be blamed
because the developers of software that uses their operating system  choses
to develop for the most popular system.

Dennis Wish