Re: New Win 98 Questions

Dennis,
Perhaps the point was not to make one feel sorry for IBM per se, but to note the
apparent growing trend of MS to isolate it's operating system. The money thing
is certainly a player in lots of business decisions. We can comment and throw
out opinion about what should have been, but things are as they are and our
interests should be to look back and possibly correct our future direction and
decisions.

On another note... I've been wondering why a newsgroup such as this walks so
gingerly over the subject of "appropriate" topic areas. The internet is made up
of thousands, (maybe tens of thousands by now) of groups with all kinds of
topical emphasis. The common rules of newsgroup structure are to stick to the
subject matter and go visit some other site if you have comments about things
not implied or covered by your label. The difficulties I see are that I don't
always want to pop into another group and throw out opinions with people I don't
particularly know or have a history with. A better model for a forum such as
this may be to emulate a typical SEA function such as the convention. We attend
such functions with the idea that there is some basis for congregating beyond
technical issues. (Furthermore, we expect to partake in the Presidents Cup no
matter how humiliating)

I just happen to value the opinions of many of those on this list, and would
encourage, not discourage, threads about whatever. If anything, I think I'd
prefer to "chew the fat" once in a while. I guess I know this will go roughly
against some feathers, but hey,, what the heck.

Barry H. Welliver