RE: windows (several) v.s. linux

From:	Dennis S. Wish PE [SMTP:wish(--nospam--at)cwia.com]
Sent:	Wednesday, October 21, 1998 11:14 PM
To:	seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject:	RE: windows (several) v.s. linux

I'm not sure I agree with this, since the sucess of an operating system is
not based upon how good it is but how strong the marketing program is.

[Bill Polhemus]

There are those who would say that this is a sad thing.

[Dennis Wish]

Linux has been used for a long time by computer hackers since it is the tool
of choice for program pirating. I don't mean this as a negative comment for
the operating system - since it seems - in a back-handed sort of way - like
a compliment for the software's capabilities.

[Bill Polhemus]

Nevertheless, this is unfair.  I daresay that Windows is far more likely a vehicle for "program pirating" than Linux, after all

[Dennis Wish]

 Beyond this, I had tried to download versions of it, but it was not free.
The basic setup was, but important modules were sold for a fee.

[Bill Polhemus]

The point is not that it is "free" but that no one company or individual OWNS it.  It is an "open system," and thus can be used as a platform for technological innovation without the threat of such innovation being quashed by the jealous owner.

That said, nevertheless, it must be emphasized that the cost of ownership of comparable Linux vs. NT systems is decidedly in favor of Linux.

[Dennis Wish]

 IMHO, I doubt that Linux can ever be considered as a threat to even DOS
based upon the strength of the marketing sucess of Windows/NT and even
Apple/MAC.

[Bill Polhemus]

I really hate to dispute you on this, but you need to read some of the current thinking on this by those who are in the know.

Let me suggest:

http://www.linux.org/

<<application/ms-tnef>>