Re: FEMA 310

Janiele Maffei,

Thank you for your response to my SEAOC List Server email message concerning
FEMA 310, "Handbook for the Seismic Evaluation of Buildings - a Prestandard."

My questions are quite simple.

With the application of FEMA 310 provisions, does a 36" thick by 25 foot long
reinforced concrete shear wall look reasonable at each end of a 75 ft. x 120
ft. three story reinforced concrete bearing wall building braced with
reinforced concrete shear walls in a high seismic zone?

With  the application of FEMA 310 provisions to the above three story
reinforced concrete building in a high seismic zone with a "Pseudo Lateral
Force" (Base Shear) = 1.33 x W,  and the provisions of  FEMA 310, Section
4.2.4.3.4, Foundation/Soil Interface, do the tensile hold-down force of 472
kips and a compressive force of 1, 203 kips at the ends of the reinforced
concrete shear wall look reasonable?  I agree that buildings should have a
complete load path and should be designed to resist the required horizontal,
vertical and overturning forces.  The question is do the tensile hold-down
forces and the compressive forces at the ends of the sample building look
reasonable.

Can you identify any similar three story reinforced concrete building in
California in Seismic Zone 3 or 4, designed and constructed in accordance with
the 1994 Uniform Building Code, that will satisfy the detailed provisions of
FEMA 310, not the default provisions of FEMA 310, Table 3-1, Benchmark
Buildings?

FEMA 310, Section 4.2.4.3.4, Foundation/Soil Interface addresses how the
earthquake overturning forces shall be addressed at the foundation soil
interface, therefore, FEMA 310 does not ignore overturning.

I look forward to your reply to my answers to your questions.

Frank E. McClure   FEMCCLURE(--nospam--at)aol.com  October 22, 1998