RE: New Win 98 Questions

About MS and IBM - I tend to agree with you. I just threw out my slant on
IBM from what I read. It was not meant to skew the conversation one way or
another - just information.

The one thing that is different about this list is size. Even though only a
small percentage of actual subscribers participate in the posts, there are
private responses to Shafat related to the nature of the posts. The most
compelling reason to limit topics is for the consideration of networked
groups such as the Department of the Navy, who might distribute our list
messages to hundreds of individuals on their network. Shafat can explain
this much better than I.
Mid and large companies also distribute our list to their office employees
in order to pass along professional topics of interest and education. They
tend to get annoyed when receiving a hundred messages that are unrelated or
are offensive - if only from the loss of work time to discuss the issue
among employees.
I am the last person to propose censurship but sometimes the topics are
considered offensive to the majority who ask for something to be done and
the individual who perpetuates the problem fails to heed the warnings of the
sysop.
I don't think that Constitutional, first amendment rights are valid on a
globally "closed" system. If anything, we are paving the way by establishing
a "sort-of" micro-community that is establishing it's own rules based upon
democratic principle (if this is an accurate description). The majority
rules regardless of how the American constitution is written. Kind of like
scrapping the loopholes in our laws that are abused to allow the few whose
intention it is to offend or who are driven by anger.
With 9-12,000 subscribers, we need to establish a minimum code of compliance
to protect the majority from the few instances of abuse and attack that
occurs wherever you have a large group.
I think in time, we will make enough mistakes to correct the things we do
wrong and improve on the things that we do right but are not right enough.
Only time will tell on this one.

Regards
Dennis