CMU Lintels

I want to get so others opinions on design of reinforced CMU lintels above
openings, specifically larger openings.  In the past I have designed
openings, say 9 feet wide for a garage door, by using the total depth of the
wall above the opening.  Since I almost always have a bond beam at the top of
the wall I design the lintel as fixed ends using the bond beam reinforcing as
top bars and the lintel reinforcing as bottom bars.  I check the shear based
on the entire depth of the wall above the opening and make sure it is
sufficient for unreinforced shear on the face shell width only.  I check the
depth of the compression block to be sure it stays within the solidly grouted
top of wall bond beam and the lintel bond beam.

Does anyone see any problems with this design concept which I haven't taken
into consideration?

Richard Lewis, P.E.
Missionary TECH Team
rlewis(--nospam--at)techteam.org