RE: The Problem with Microsoft

This is only true for specialized applications that heve so small an
economic base that the cost to rewrite is prohibitive. It is not true that
DOS outperforms modern GUI's. DOS was a 16-bit OS that relied on Intel's
quirky architecture of overlapping pages. The later x86 chips 486, Pentium
and on, support a flat memory model which is the basis for Windows 95, 98
and NT. Any console application that ran in DOS will run in a command window
in NT. Graphics applications are another story. But I will tell you that
OpenGL or DirectX graphics running on modern machines is better than the
same thing running in DOS on a 386. I will never go back. (Of course, I am
keeping my slide rule dusted off. Just in case!<G>)

BTW, tell us about all those engineering applications that are being used
widely. Bootleg copies of Autocad 12, maybe? What are they? I don't think
they are significant at all.

> It seems that Bill Allen was still in dipers when only DOS was
> around .. and
> if he took care of this part by himself, he forgets that new
> operating systems
> in existance today or under development are, in many respects,
> still based on
> DOS. Just talk to software developers. So, in a sense, DOS is GOD. Other
> "OS"'s are minor deities fighting among each other for the best
> position in
> the court of heavens.

As I was about to say above, DOS is no longer the basis of Windows. The
destination will be a complete 32-bit OS in WinNT 5. DOS, will not be
available.

As they say, "You get what you pay for." If you are unwilling to pay for a
PII with 128Mb of memory, you are doomed to buy older versions with less
utility. Save a couple of grand and spend twenty just trying to keep pace.

> I like this "one guy out in Arizona still using DOS" because he
> knows better
> than anyone else how life developed on our planet.
What does *that* mean???? Is he a (biologist / theologian [choose one])?
What does DOS have to do with (evolution / creation [choose one])?

>History is
> useful when you
> want to track things down.

So is a memo pad. Which, by all reckoning, is what a computer can be.

Mark

Mark E. Deardorff, SE
Deardorff & Deardorff, Inc., Ramona, CA
<mailto:MarkD(--nospam--at)DandDEng.com>
<http://DandDEng.com>