Re: Basement walls, sandstone

Earthpressure theories are based on semi-infinite soil mass.  Properties
of material in the limited amount of backfill you will have behind the
wall wil not induce significant pressure on the wall.  In short,
pressure on the wall is more a function of the native soil behind the
backfill.  Since the native "soil" is rock in your project, its "phi"
value is high and consequently, active pressure from it to the wall can
be ignored.  By the way, what is the height of the wall? I noticed your
statement that 18' high cut can remain without shoring, but is that the
height of the wall?

Though earthpressure can be ignored, you will have to assume hydrostatic
pressure behind the wall, because the rock is highly weathered and
fragmented.

Therefore design the wall for hydrostatic pressure.  Also, provide weep
holes to drain water from backfill.  By the way, you can use the
excavated material for your backfill.

Rajendran