Deep Masonry Beams

Does anyone have any experience in using a masonry lintel to span 31'
over a window?  We have a client who is building a convience store and
wants a 31' foot opening in the masonry wall (split face load baering CMU
8" or 12").  We have approximately 6 feet above the opening to joist
bearing.  Is there any problems with a 6 foot deep masonry beam?  I know
in concrete there are special checks for deep beams for both shear and
flexure but the ACI 530 code does not address this that I have found.
Any concerns or pitfalls?  We are planning on a control joint near the
end of the opening.

Thanks,

Mike Zaitz