Pipe sizes

Title: Pipe sizes

I have had a curiosity question for quite some time.  Sure, I know of the existance of "schedule #'s" for pipe sizing (SCH 10, 20 , 40 , 80, 120), but what does that really mean?  What is the history of these numbers?  Whose "schedule" is it?

Despite repeated reminders, I can not seem to get my architects to quit indicating 1 1/2 " SCH40 handrails, whick exceed maximum allowable OD.  Does anyone out there specify round tube per A500B like 1 1/2 x 1/8 for handrails?  I often see 1 1/2" SCH10 for rails, which are compliant.

Thanks in advance for help with this, its driven me crazy for years.

robert d. rollo, PE
Corporate Associate
rrollo(--nospam--at)team-psc.com
(806) 747-0161vox