Re[2]: Pretensioning Of Anchor Bolts

     As the person who started the thread on the pretensioning of anchor
     bolts, I have been very interested in all the comments, especially
     those by Harold and Charlie, who have grasped the reason for raising
     the issue in the first place.

     The petrochemical industry (and others) have used pretensioning of
     anchor bolts for many "nonbuilding" strcutures for years.  In fact in
     the recently published "Anchor Bolt Design For Petrochemical
     Facilities", 1997, ASCE uses 5 pages to talk about pretensioning of
     anchor bolt procedures, including applications, methods, and
     tightening sequences.  That is why I was curious about another
     reputable engineering organization, AISC recommending against it in
     the LRFD Commentary.

     As a member of both AISC and ASCE (as well as SEAOSC and EERI), I am
     trying to resolve the conflicting viewpoints.

     Rick Drake, SE
     Fluor Daniel, Inc.
     Member ASCE, AISC, EERI, SEAOSC