RE: Pipe sizes

Robert-

I'm puzzled how Schedule 10 meets the specified diameter and Schedule 40
does not.  Pipe identified by schedule number holds a constant outside
diameter for a given nominal size (for 12" and less diameters, the OD is
larger than the nominal size while 14 inch diameter and larger the OD is
the nominal size).  The wall thickness and ID vary to make the various
schedules.  For example the  1-1/2" schedule 10 and schedule 40 sizes you
refer to both have an OD=1.900".  Schedule 10 has a wall thickness of
0.109" resulting in an ID of 1.682"  while Schedule 40 has a wall thickness
of 0.145" resulting in an ID of 1.610".

Bill Cain, S.E.
Oakland, CA