Re: Wood Framing - Upgrade or Not

<< My dilemma is that I would like to simply replace the Let-in wall braced
 panels with plywood. Running the numbers won't balance.  >>

Dennis -

We ran into this situation quite often after the Northridge EQ where the owner
was not required to upgrade their house, but was willing to add some plywood
even if it didn't really calc out.  I also agree that it helps the building.

We addressed the issue by showing the added plywood on the plans, accompanied
by a large note that read something like, "The added plywood shown on these
plans is being voluntarily added at the owner's request and is not intended to
comply with current Building Code requirements."  This let the City know that
they did not need to plan check the plywood, and also made it clear that the
upgrade was voluntary and not necessarily code-complying.  It was a workable
approach for us to get around the problem and still help the building.

Bruce Resnick, SE
Parker Resnick Str. Eng.