Pipe sizes

From: Robert Rollo

I have had a curiosity question for quite some time.  Sure, I know of the
existance of "schedule #'s" for pipe sizing (SCH 10, 20 , 40 , 80, 120), but
what does that really mean?  What is the history of these numbers?  Whose
"schedule" is it?
Despite repeated reminders, I can not seem to get my architects to quit
indicating 1 1/2 " SCH40 handrails, whick exceed maximum allowable OD.  Does
anyone out there specify round tube per A500B like 1 1/2 x 1/8 for
handrails?  I often see 1 1/2" SCH10 for rails, which are compliant.

IN RESPONSE
The Office of Technical and Information Services, U.S. Architectural and
Transportation Barriers Compliance Board, telephone (202)272-5434, has
issued a rare written interpretation of ADAAG paragraph 4.26.2 stating
"standard IPS handrail sections designated as nominal 1-1/4 inch and 1-1/2
inch diameter are considered to fall within conventional building industry
tolerances for the purposes of this provision."

Roger Davis
SDS Architects, Inc.