Question regarding Railroad Bridge Design

I've got a railroad bridge over a river to design, and have little experience in procedural matters in re.

For example:  The bridge and the track itself will be owned and operated by a private (actually, quasi-public) entity, but will of course be used by equipment from various and sundry rail companies (primarily Union Pacific, I think).

We have a copy of UP's design guides, and their requirements seem to be fairly explicit, and fairly strict.

What is the role of the rail company in reviewing design of such a bridge?  Is there a need to have UP and any other company that might run their stock across this bridge, review the design thereof?

I'd like some input from anyone who's trod this (rail)road before!