Re: Oversized holes in sill plates

I am not aware of any data available for oversized holes in wood sill
plate. However, I have specified the use of epoxy as a fix for overdrilled
holes. At the time that I needed information, the epoxy manufactures were
not prepared to provide me with any values that I could use in my fix, but
my thinking was that the holes could be filled with any material which has
the same or stronger bearing capacity than the wood as long as that
material could adhere to wood.
I would also specify installing plate washers such as 2 1/2 x
2 1/2 x 1/4 for 5/8" dia. anchor bolts as required by L.A. City Bldg. Dept.
I think the idea behind using the washers is that tensioning the bolts
would create friction which could resist certain amount of lateral force
before slippage occurs.

Karim Hosseinzadeh, SE