From: Rhkratzse(--nospam--at)aol.com [mailto:Rhkratzse(--nospam--at)aol.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 28, 1998 5:14 PM
To: wish(--nospam--at)cwia.com; seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: RE: Oversized holes in sill plates

In a message dated 10/28/98 4:33:08 PM, wish(--nospam--at)cwia.com writes:

>one work-around that is used on the new Simpson Strong-wall and Hardy
Frames

>which provide slotted holes for last minute adjustment: Use a 2" Square
>
>plate washer like the Simpson BP's. You can drill the corners to allow
>for a
>
>small #6 or #8 wood screw (4 ea.). Screw the plate washers in place after
>
>the wall is adjusted or set. This should remedy the movement of the plate
>
>due to the oversized holes.

Does the capacity of 4 #6 or #8 wood screws equal the capacity of a 5/8"
anchor bolt?  Is it adequate to transfer the horizontal load to the anchor
bolt at the top of the wood foundation plate (1.5" above the top of
concrete)
instead of transferring the load through the full depth of the fdn. plate?
tend toward "no" on both of these questions.

Ralph Hueston Kratz, S.E.
Richmond CA