Re: RE: RE: Oversized holes in sill plates

In a message dated 10/28/98 6:40:15 PM, wish(--nospam--at)cwia.com writes:
>I think what Ralph needs to realize here is that the desired specification
>by code is not being adhered to in the field.

Believe me, I've seen my share of horror stories in the field (anchor bolt
nuts recessed 3" down into a heavily loaded 4x4 shear wall bottom plate,
anchor bolts visible at the side of the bottom plate like an ant farm, etc.).
I agree that the plate washers will help all of this, but the basic scheme
we're trying to use must also figure.  I've seen Simpson's presentation of
their shear walls and the laterally-slotted holes in the bottom plates and it
seems to be a good system.  It certainly will reduce the field errors, since
they provide a reusable full-length template for the anchor bolts.

Have you seen Simpson's (or others) video of dynamic tests of plywood shear
walls?
The way the end stud and plywood sheathing jump around relative to the bottom
plate makes one wonder how the shear wall functions at all, and how important
reducing hold-down deflection is.

Ralph Hueston Kratz, S.E.
Richmond CA