The Future of Windows

This article from the Windows magazine email newsletter arrived in my
mailbox last night.  It should be of interest to everyone except Roger
Turk and Christopher Wright!

GET READY FOR WINDOWS 2000!

It's official: Windows 98 will be the end of the line for Win9x's hybrid
16-bit/32-bit operating system. Microsoft announced yesterday that all
future versions of Windows -- including consumer versions -- will be
true 32-bit operating systems based on big brother NT, albeit with all
the Win98 bells and whistles.  Reflecting its new mainstream status, NT
will be rechristened as Windows 2000 when the OS formerly known as NT
5.0 ships sometime next year. (Beta three is due out in Q1 1999.)

Windows 2000 will come in four different versions for desktop and server
use. Windows NT Workstation, the desktop version, will now be called
Windows 2000 Professional. There will be three server versions: Windows
2000 server, Windows 2000 Advanced Server and Windows 2000 Data Center
Server. Although the NT name will be going away, the new OS flavors will
all carry the tagline: "Built on NT Technology."

MEMORY TIP!

For those of you (like me) with less than 64 MB of RAM, please be aware
that there is a sale going on this week on 16 MB EDO SIMMs at CompUSA .
With a mail-in rebate, you can buy two SIMMs for only $29.99.  That
works out to less than $0.94 per MB!  However, you must make your
purchase before November 1, 1998.

Best Regards,

Stan R. Caldwell, P.E.
Dallas, Texas

We are born with our eyes closed and our mouths
open, and we spend our whole lives trying to
reverse that mistake of nature.
                                  ... anonymous