RE: Wood Fr-Upgr : What I'll do and two more questions

Thanks Bob, but I think there may be a flaw to the "ABK" method here. The
ABK method assumes that you design to the element that will fail first. In
this case, if the roof were plywood unblocked you would be designing for
about 240 psf for the full length of the wall. The stucco finish (and
applicable shearwalls) are the weak link here - yet these are the walls that
will be replaced with the new shear from the addition.

Maybe I'm confused here, but lets assume that the original structure had 10
feet of stucco shear (braced wall panel) even though the roof is
considerably stronger. This translates into about 1800 pounds of shear. If
the new addition contributes 1000 pounds of shear do I design the common
wall for 2800 pounds, or do I design for the diaphram capacity over the full
length of wall (20 some feet total)?

If the assumption is to design for 2800 pounds of shear then this is what I
originally assumed in my question.

Bob, would you mind clearing this up - I think I'm confusing myself:>)

thanks
Dennis