Re: LONG SPAN GIRDER-Seismic analysis

Mr. Mark

There are a difference between the results of the linear response spectrum
analysis and time history analysis.

1- Finally in a response spectrum analysis you solve a static problem with
a lateral story shear forces that correspond to the instant where the base
shear is maximum. Some elements may have maximum response at different
instant, so its response may be under-estimated.

2- In a response spectrum analysis, the response is restricted to the
number of modes specified by the engineer.

3- In a response spectrum analysis you can not take the effect of soil
structure interaction, which may cause significant change to the structure
response.

4- Some Codes do not allow the use of the response spectrum analysis for
irrigular structures (e.g. The 1995 Egyptian Code).

A.M.Zaki
Structural Engineer
Cairo-Egypt