Re: Wood Fr-Upgr : What I'll do and two more questions

Dennis S. Wish PE wrote:

Thanks Bob, but I think there may be a flaw to the "ABK" method here.
<snip>
Bob, would you mind clearing this up - I think I'm confusing myself:>)
Dennis:

What I was suggesting was to:
1.  calculate the EQ load the existing structure would deliver to the common wall using the current code tributary area methods and compareit to the capacity of the existing roof diaphragm.  Use whichever is less (most likely the diaphragm capacity) since the wall won't see more load from the original structure than the existing diaphragm can deliver.

2.  calculate the full code load for the addition.

3.  add 1 and 2 together and design the common shear wall for the combined load.

Bob