Re: steel grades

On Fri, 30 Oct 1998, Blake Haley wrote:

> This is incorrect, Nucor and Chapparal Steel Co.s are among some that produce Gr36
> W shapes etc..  I understand that there is a push to all Gr50 but its not there
> yet.

According to Nucor's and Chapparal's marketing directors, ALL steel
structural steel shapes (W's,HP's, S's)currently produced
are Gr50.  They might also meet the spec's for A36 steel,
since A36's limit for Fy overlaps with A572 Gr50's limit for Fy.

This information was provided by Ted Temple of Chapparral Steel and Mike
Engestom of Nucor-Yamato Steel.  They gave a presentation at an AISC
sponsored workshop for faculty members on 10/16/1998.

> MRodrig273(--nospam--at)aol.com wrote:
>
> > I just received a call from a steel detailer concerning structural steel
> > grades.  I was informed that the production of A36 steel is no longer.  I was
> > told that Grade 50 steel is now being used instead of A36 steel

Edwin R. Schmeckpeper, P.E., Ph.D.
Department of Civil Engineering                   Phone  : (208) 885-6702
University of Idaho                               FAX    : (208) 885-6608
Moscow, Idaho 83844-1022                          E-Mail : eds(--nospam--at)uidaho.edu