From: MARCSBART(--nospam--at)aol.com [mailto:MARCSBART(--nospam--at)aol.com]
Sent: Friday, October 30, 1998 5:23 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: SEI/BPAD Trial Designs

The Business Practices Division the Structural Engineering Institute has
formed a committee on design practices.  The charge of this committee is to
compile trial design problems that can be used as a check on provisions of
various building codes to determine if those provisions are being
interpreted
and applied as intended.  In this vein the committee has two such design
ready
for testing.

The design problems are short and should take an experienced engineer less
than three hours.  The problems are of a type that those involved in the
design of buildings should be competent to solve.  There is also a
questionnaire that should filled out and returned.  All solutions are to be
submitted anonymously.  Engineers from the same firms are encouraged to
return
as many solutions as possible.

The results from this exercise will be compiled for use in petitioning the
appropriate code authorities to make changes.  Therefore, it is important to
obtain solutions from as many engineers as possible.  The committee hopes to
have solutions from all over the country.

Those individuals or firms that are interested in participating can send an
e-
mail to the committee chair, Marc Barter, at marcsbart(--nospam--at)aol.com.  Send your
name, mailing address and or fax number.  The problems will be sent to you
within a week.