Re[2]: DRAFMAN RATES

I am not an old-timer and could say that I am a child of the new computer technology age. But on a personal preference, I like the manually drafted drawings. 2-D drawings could be shown with "depth" by shading the sheets with colors.

But CAD Softwares ability to be reused and/ modified in multiple projects is its strongest advantage. It really does look very plane in 2-D  but this is a minor if not negligible factor. In the end, it is the readability and constructibility of the drawing that does matter rather than its aesthetic presentation.

Subject: RE: DRAFMAN RATES
Author:  MIME:wish(--nospam--at)cwia.com at INTERNET
Date:    11/01/98 2:00 AM

I'm not sure why Bob abhors cad software? I understand the importance of a structural draftsperson and would not hire a drafter simply because he can use a CAD program. Without the ability to understand what he/she is looking at or the materials used, no type of drafting (manual or CAD) is adequate. The advantage of CAD to manual drafting techniques is it's ability for precision. In my days of manual methods it was not uncommon to find a production draftsperson who "fudged" the detailing rather than identify when dimensional differences of a fraction of an inch mattered.
The point is that CAD is a tool - no better or worse than manual methods in philosophy. CAD shines when repetitive steps or construction using pre-defined blocks can be used. I've worked both ways - but have not owned a drafting table in over twelve years.

Regards
Dennis