Re: (was DRAFMAN RATES) Drawing Presentations

"Dennis S. Wish PE" wrote:

> Everything you said is true - no argument. However, there is more - I can
> produce a set of CAD drawings that are virtually indistiguishable from hand
> delineated methods. The tip-off is the perfection - manual drafting is
> imperfect, but any artform can be copied electronically.
>
> Years ago I found a handlettering font that mystified my clients and
> building officials who were sure the drawings were done by hand. This soon
> became common place and the "magic" was  gone.
> snip..

Speaking of hand letter fonts, I've been looking for one called heavy hand.
Anyone know of such. Also, what is the name of your "mystery" font Dennis?? (And
do I need to give you credit on my drawings if I use it?? :-)

> I was trained in architecture as well as engineering and believed that
> architects have a greater concern for presentation. My engineering side was
> more concerned with practicality and percision - not aesthetics. I've always
> taken great pride in the presentation of my work and believe that many of my
> clients were drawn to this. It was not a matter of how pretty it looked, but
> how well laid out the package was and the ease in which information could be
> located. Equally important was how easy it was to read - even computer
> generated hand lettering fonts can be difficult to read when numbers are
> used. Therefore, great strains were made to find the right lettering size
> for the font used (5/54" is now my standard for a san serif style and 3/32"
> for a hand lettering font).

I've never understood (completely) why some designers feel detailing for
buildings can be plopped onto sheets with no semblance of order. Drawings
following this method just feel utilitarian and severe. Details tell the story
of construction and should be much more than lumps of information. I understand
the "detail library" concept but surely this is a thing of the past. My first
experiences with "sticky back" and computer drawn sheets left me cold. It seems
our tools (CAD) are coming closer to how some of us old hand drafters prefer to
work. I imagine this has as much to do with maturing in the use of such tools as
it does in improvement of those packages. Anyway, I'm in agreement that
engineering presentation has been a less than stellar topic for our profession.

> The problem is not the tools, but the personal skills or lack there-of. The
> redeming factor is that if we can discuss this topic, there are still those
> engineers who have not forgotten the "art" of engineering. This won't die
> because of computers - they'll be reborn.
>
> Dennis S. Wish PE

Bingo!

snip text and three!! trailers... Dennis, Dennis Dennis !!!

Barry H. Welliver