From: Mike Brown [mailto:mike.brown(--nospam--at)cshqa.com]
Sent: Monday, November 02, 1998 12:38 PM
To: 'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'
Subject: RE: Design fee guidelines

I'm interested in this information as well.  I have seen in the '97
Means for Building Construction Cost Data that the structural
engineering fees are 1% min. to 2.5% max. of the project cost.  But I
got to be honest, I work for an A&E firm and we're lucky if we get 1% of
the construction cost (Usually only for complex jobs like hangers and
pavilions).  Usually we're only budgeted for 10% of the total design
fees set by our architects.  This usually amounts to about 0.6% of
construction costs.

Of course the best way to determine structural design fees or any fees
for that matter is based on past experience for similar projects.