Re[2]: Design fee guidelines

Couldn't agree more. I have experienced being outbidded by other engineers whose fees, I believe, are way too low than what I expect a qualified and experienced SE should deservedly get. Unfortunately, these are usually young turks trying to carve out a name and a niche in the market.

The consolation, though, that I get is the fact that the customer would end up whining of the monstrous cost of material that he had spent.

So, whenever I put up a bid, I make it a point that the owner gets to know that for the minimal additional cost on my fee, he gets savings on the construction cost without fear of compromising the structure's integrity.

Subject: RE: Design fee guidelines
Author:  MIME:Bill(--nospam--at)AllenDesigns.com at INTERNET
Date:    11/02/98 10:10 PM

The following response is merely my opinion and is not intended to offend or flame anyone in particular..

One of the reasons you feel "lucky" to get 1% is that either you are willing to do it for that low of fee or your colleagues (competition) are willing to do it for that fee. Hypothetically, If NO qualified structural engineer would touch a project for less than, say 2%, then you could get 2% on a regular basis.

We are our own worst (business) enemy and we would rather worry about graphically beautiful drawings (with shading), ponder rigid diaphram vs. flexible and then decide to do the analysis both ways, perform a time history analysis when it isn't really required, etc.

We deserve exactly what we get.

Regards,
Bill Allen