Re: Design fee guidelines

I have been reading responses to many questions and comments on this
list over the last few months without any reply of my own.  On one
occasion I almost did, regarding the numerous comments on shearwall
design.  Nailing, nail slip, holdowns and holdown slip, rigid verses
flexible diaphragms in plywood, which all boiled down to what I could
see as design, redesign, redeisign, perpetual itteratation etc., etc.,
etc.  Then time history vs linear an on and on.

I work in the Rocky Mountain West.  High snow loads, high seismic, and
high wind.  I couldn't figure out if the fees where the rest of you work
would pay for all that messing around or if your employees get peanuts
for wages.  If the first is true, I would like to send out some resumes,
otherwise I might just sit tight.

My feeling is that 2% or 2.5% would be easier gained if it weren't for
engineers in our field willing to sell very little for less, and for
clients who can't figure out that field fixes or field retrofit are
usually far more expensive that what the original design may have cost.

I agree totally, we are our worst enemy.  My hat is off to you Bill
allen!