RE: Design fee guidelines

Until today I have not put my $0.02 (2%) in. If I tried to get even 1% of
the construction fee on a $2,000,000.00 custom home I would expect
$20,000.00 in fee's. This would be considered outrages for this area and I
could expect to retire on welfare if I was not willing to compromise.
Possibly the difference is that this is not a commercial project (although I
only received $3,500.00 for the last 5,000 S.F. commercial Starbucks Coffee
I did and the owner "bitched that I was almost $1,000.00 more than the
engineer I replaced who moved out of the area).
Are these fee's for government work, offices, etc?
What are typical fee's for residential and light commercial projects?

I am considered priced high in my area where I calculate my fee by square
foot. Custom homes generally bring in $6,000.00 for a 6000 square foot home.
Minimum fee's are between $2,500 and $3,500.00 for an entire package. I
leave my observation fee's separate and are charged at an hourly fee of
$100.00 to $125.00 per hour.

Still, these fees are nowhere near the cost quoted in by most of you.
If, however, the percentage fees are for the structural cost - I may be more
in line, but am not sure what percentage of total construction is placed in
the structure. My home cost $17,000 to frame in 1993 dollars. I think the
total structural portion from a $200,000.00 home was somewhere in the
$35,000.00 range including slabs, shearwalls, trusses and framing. Does this
sound correct?
If I were to take my fee's based upon a $35,000.00 Structural construction
fee, then I would be earning closer to 10% of the construction fee.

Can someone clarify this. I have not priced my projects by a percentage of
total fee's. I thought I was doing well compared by my competition in and
out of my area. I do have some new commercial projects which may be in the
horizon and I need to know how best to bid these.

Thanks
Dennis