RE: Design fee guidelines

Question noted.  I daresay you'll find it is a significant portion.  What if
you got, say, 7% of the structure only?

When we calculate our fees for negotiation of a combination road/bridge
project, we separate the civil and structural fees.  That makes it easier
for us to do project control.

It also shows us that the ratio of structural engineering work to the
overall engineering effort is about the same as the construction cost of the
structures only (e.g. the bridges) to the entire job including civil and all
other efforts.

Ergo, when we get 6-7% of the constructed costs, that also means we
structural guys get 6-7% of the constructed costs for the structures.