RE: ringwall reinforcing design

There is a procedure given in API 650, "Welded Steel Tanks for Oil Storage",
which probably originated at CB&I.  The equations can be derived easily,
basically the procedure is to size the width of the ringwall to have the
same soil bearing pressure as under the tank bottom, and to calculate the
hoop force in the ring due to the lateral earth pressure due to soil and
tank contents.