Re: Design via Internet (India & Mexico)

At 12:03 PM 11/4/98 -0600, you wrote:
>I have heard of larger companies sending work to India and Mexico via
the
>internet to be designed and drafted for a far lower fee.  I have also
heard
>that some of this work is good work and timely.  I don't know about
>everybody else, but that is pretty darn scary to me.
>Has anyone else heard about this type of deal?
>
>Blake Haley, P.E.
>White Engineering Associates, Inc.

It has been the case for at least 7-10 years for software design firms.
Major firms like Hewlett Packard contracts their software design to
India.

The advantages of India are (1) very very low wages, (2) English
speaking,
(3) good universities that keep on producing highly educated engineers.

We are just scratching the surface of the power hidden inside the
Internet.  With Electronically ways of submittal of designs, many parts
of design can be subcontracted to the lowest bidder that have the access
to the internet. Internet highways know of no borders between nations.
Unlike toys or auto parts, they don't even have to worry about shipping
and import/expor fees.  We will have to be able to adjust to the impact
of this global village.  It is coming like it or not!!!

Sam Chang

Cupertino CA