RE:Design via Internet (India & Mexico)

Sam Chang is right in that the market has a way of imposing its will
regardless of national borders, trade agreements, etc. I think Dennis would
put us on a very slippery slope with the idea of some sort of government
regulation to protect our higher hourly rates from low cost overseas
competitors. That's call protectionism and it don't work. It can "appear" to
work for a while, but eventually the house of cards comes crashing down and
the market once again imposes her will.

If we are now finding ourselves competing with cheaper overseas labor, we
should take a lesson American manufacturing learned the hard way and realize
the way to compete is not through protectionism, but through better
productivity. This means running an efficient, organized office, using the
best productivity tools such as state of the art software and computers (I
hope all you "freeware" advocates are reading this) and concentrating our
resources on those areas where we have expertise and can provide value added
services. Plus, as was pointed out in another post, our site visit charges are
certainly going to be lower!

It's been pointed out that some software companies contract their development
overseas and we're certainly the beneficiaries of that through software that
gets cheaper and better all the time, not to mention computers that also get
cheaper and better with parts manufactured overseas. Anybody out there ever
design a building that used cheaper steel rolled in Asia? Now when it's our
turn to compete, are we going to cry "Foul!" and try to change the rules?

Earl Conroy
E.C. Engineers