RE: Design via Internet (India & Mexico)

Depends on your definition of "work."  For example, it "works" very, very
well to elect politicians. Protectionism has always been politically
popular, whether it is good economic policy or not.  The Smoot-Hawley tariff
is widely believed to have been one of the precipitating factors of the
global depression of the 1930s, but that realization has never caused a
moment's hesitation among politicians ready and willing to use the
protectionist gambit to get elected.

So, to say "protectionism doesn't work" is irrelevant, since the fact
remains that it will nevertheless continue to be used all over the world,
including the U.S.

> work for a while, but eventually the house of cards comes crashing down
and
> the market once again imposes her will.

The market imposes its will when it is allowed to do so.  No one can say,
for instance, that the market is imposing its will in North Korea, except in
the sense of the BLACK market, perhaps.

It is indeed possible to thwart the will of the market.  Not wise, perhaps,
nor advisable, but possible.

> the way to compete is not through protectionism, but through better
productivity.

In many instances, this is an uphill fight.  Why do you suppose that the
biggest proponents of protectionism are found among both businesses and
unions? (one of the few times you'll see labor agree with management).  It
is because it is easier to have your politician, bought and paid for, play
the "protectionism" card than to actually take steps to improve
productivity.

It's this same sentiment, for example, that causes the NEA and their willing
accomplices in  the political realm to insist on lower class sizes and more
money for education, when neither have been shown to be (and indeed, are
demonstrably unrelated to) educational quality.

In either instance, it is EASIER to demagogue an issue such as this than to
face reality, and the problem head-on, respectively.

> hope all you "freeware" advocates are reading this)

I find this to be an amusing statement, since some of the most respected
software in this day and age are "freeware products" which the developers
use to get a foot in the door for a chance at "added services."  Such
high-quality offerings as the various Linux distributions, Netscape and
Internet Explorer, Outlook 98, and Corel's office suite for Linux, are
examples.

Perhaps you need to rethink the snide remark, above.